Would you know what to do if you saw someone choking? It can happen anywhere; in a restaurant, at home, in a store, in the park-- anywhere-- even in school. Just last year a 4th grade student at Veterans Park choked on his lunch and thankfully one of our cafeteria workers was able to perform the Heimlich maneuver, which dislodged the obstruction. This was a reminder of the important role we all play in the safety of our family, friends, coworkers, and even strangers.
Following this event at the school the decision was made by school and district administrators to incorporate teaching the Heimlich maneuver into the health curriculum for all 5th graders during the winter semester. Ms. Kristen Bunten, LPS Health Care Coordinator commented that this course also serves as a nice prequel to students receiving CPR at Baird Middle School in the 8th grade.
For the 2nd year Mrs. Maria Pereira, Veterans Park School Nurse and Mrs. Beth Oliveira, District Health Assistant, with the help of Mr. Pat Annecchiarico, Veterans Park Physical Education Teacher, taught the class. They used materials from the American Heart Association, including the practice manikin, Choking Charlie. Each instructor agreed that all of the students responded positively.
Photo Credit: Mrs. Pereira